Sunday, February 04, 2007

New Bike


Few things in life elicit as much joy as a new bicycle. No matter what your age, the feeling is almost universal when seeing your new bicycle for the first time. Be it Christmas morning under the tree (no matter that there was two feet of snow on the ground, you were still going to ride it around the block while your beaming parents looked on--they were beaming because they, too, knew the joy of receiving a bicycle) or when the mechanic at your local shop wheels your new steed out from behind the shop counter (with a smirk that seems to say this is a lot of bike--you'd better know how to ride it buddy or I'm taking it back). So it should come as no surprise that when I first laid eyes on my new bicycle I couldn't help feeling a bit nostalgic for the other (forgotten? never!) bicycles I have owned in the past. My first bike, a yellow Swinger from Woolworth, did not have XTR, disc brakes or carbon anything. But it made me happy to ride it around the block and to the pool. I was happy because I knew nothing else. I was happy because I was free. As of Friday, those feelings are back in all their carbon-fiber glory. My new Giant Anthem Advanced makes me smile on the outside. And on the inside. Not wanting to sound like a promo for Giant bikes I will simply say that this bike climbs like a hardtail, shifts like a dream and handles quite well for being so light. I took it to the local mountain on Saturday (Tiger Mtn) to test its climbing prowess on the steep (and at times unforgiving) fireroad climbs. I don't ever remember feeling this good on the climbs. Now I will be the first to admit that perhaps the joy of the new bike overshadowed the pain that otherwise plagues me on the ascents or perhaps I am simply in a better state of fitness due to the impending trip to south Africa (47 days but who's counting. Actually I am.) No matter. At 23.7lbs (without pedals) this bike is a rocket ship. The acceleration is crazy fast. But you know what they say, bikes aren't fast, the rider is fast. So hopefully I won't disappoint the Anthem by letting my speed prevent her from realizing her maximum potential. Otherwise, I'm afraid she'll call the shop and ask to go back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home